Deploying on JBoss Wildfly

I’m trying to deploy a Vaadin 7.1.10 on Wildfly-8.0.0.CR1. It worked fine on Wildfly-8.0.0.Beta1, but on CR1 every User Interaction leads to a “Session Expired”-Message. I know Wildfly isn’t officially supported yet, but I basically have to try to use it, because the finished application will be part of a larger application running on Wildfly.

At what point can I expect Vaadin to support Wildfly?

Hello Andre,

Before we go spectical about vaadin support for wildfly and stuff like that, Vaadin should work seamlessly on Wildfly

Please check the following params:

session timeout param in your web.xml-

<session-config> <session-timeout>10</session-timeout> </session-config>

Next, Please cehck your heartbeat interval this should be less that of your Session Timeout(Note this is in Seconds) By default this is 5 min(300 sec)

<context-param> <param-name>heartbeatInterval</param-name> <param-value>120</param-value> </context-param>

Please check this, and get back if you find this normal. BTW, it would be good if you could post a delevarable on which the problem is reproducable.



pretty sure my application is innocent. The same WAR that causes a Session Timeout on Wildfly 8.0.0.CR1 works perfectly on Wildfly 8.0.0.Beta1, with both parameters of yours set exactly like you posted. Another little demo application I built doesn’t even have a web.xml, yet behaves exactly the same way. I also tried several different Wildfly CR1 - Servers, one thats basically in mint condition and another who was configured by a different person.

In fact I conducted a little experiment just now:
I downloaded a fresh copy of Wildfly 8.0.0.CR1 and started it via console, leaving the IDE out of the picture to keep it simple.
Then I created a new Vaadin-App via Maven.

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=com.vaadin -DarchetypeArtifactId=vaadin-archetype-application -DarchetypeVersion=LATEST

I made up a Project- and Packetname and accepted defaults everywhere else. Then, I created a WAR via

mvn package

I deployed this WAR on the new server, accessed the example application in Firefox, clicked the “click me”-Button and - got a “Session Expired” message again.

//Edit: Changed DarchetypeVersion from 7.1.8 to LATEST, because that’s what I used. Copy and paste error.

Hello Andre,

Please give me some time, I will check and get back to you Once I have some concrete details.
I will download wildfly tonight and check it out.


Hello Andre,

I have played around with
and sorry to say that. it was working fine on my machine.
To troubleshoot the problem further, can you please attach the war that you were using/some stripped down version of the war file that is able to reproduce the problem is also fine


I did some additional testing. Tried the following:

  • Discarded my Maven Configuration, created the project anew
  • Made someone else try my WAR file
  • Made someone else create a new WAR file and try that
  • Create the project via the Eclipse plugin / IVY instead of Maven

All those tests led to nothing, the result always was as described above.

However, then I tried a bunch of different browsers and noticed something:

  • Firefox 24.2.0 - timeout
  • Chrome 31.0 - timeout
  • Firefox 27.0 - timeout
  • Integrated browser from eclipse - WORKS
  • Internet Explorer 11 - WORKS

I then modified the example application to get me browser information on standard out[code]

For Eclipse - works

BrowserApplication: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv: Gecko
MajorVersion: -1
MinorVersion: -1

For Firefox 24.2.0 - doesn’t work

BrowserApplication: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
MajorVersion: 24
MinorVersion: 0
I checked for a compilation-mappings.txt, but with a fresh application, there is none. This is starting to baffle me…

I just tried to deploy a Vaadin application on the latest build #943 of Wildfly and it suddenly works again. I suspect a bug that was only there for CR1, but not before or after. I consider my problem solved with that.

Did anything further ever come of this issue?

I have something remarkably similar with Wildfly 8.2.0. I was actually the exception case, where mine was working without issue, and my co-workers trying to make the switch to wildfly were unable to do anything for these “Session Expired” messages. It was driving me crazy that it worked fine for me, and not for them… Consistently. I had two different team members try this, with no luck, and I tried it on two different machines I had, with no problems.

We swapped WAR files, we swapped Wildfly folders… Consistently still mine worked, and theirs did not.

I was finally able to track down the difference that was causing this today, and it was because I had the JCE (Java Cryptography Extension) in place in my JDK, and when I sent them the JCE extensions, their environment started working.

I then removed them from mine, and I too get the “Session Expired” message.

Fundamentally I don’t have a problem deploying JCE, but I would really like to figure out why this is occuring. Hope this helps someone.

~ Jon