can it mill toolkit be integrated with spring application

Hi,

We are developping a web application with following frameworks:

1. Spring
  2. Hibernate
  3. Struts 2.0

Can IT mill be used in our application for creating rich UI?

In short, of course.

For assurance, I personally know projects that have mixed Toolkit apps under older technologies such as JSP pages (and vice versa too).

A bit longer answer involves understanding your design on UI layer. It would be good to understand how do you plan dividing work between “legacy” Struts and “AJAX” IT Mill Toolkit framework?

Perhaps you wish to share information between your JSP pages and Toolkit apps through server- or client-side code? Other point is that Struts JSP pages are page based when IT Mill Toolkit is a real Java application using AJAX tech. If I remember correctly we got some discussion on our forums regarding these matters too, please search forum.itmill.com e.g. using google to find out answers.

Spring or Hibernate, use them as you like no problem. Personally I’d keep these techs out from your UI layer completely, at least regarding IT Mill Toolkit, this is just to keep your architecture solid.

I basically second what Jani said.

Spring and especially Hibernate are being used with IT Mill Toolkit all the time.

I’m not too sure it makes sense to use it with Struts, though. I’m not terribly familiar with Struts, but my understanding is that it tries to solve part of the problem IT Mill Toolkit solves, but in a very different way, so it might not make sense or be practical to use these together.
Please note that IT Mill Toolkit is a server-side (or rather “serverdriven”) framework, with a tight integration between client and server. It’s also component based rather than page based. Having different parts of the application made with the two should cause no problems, but using IT Mill Toolkit as a front-end to Struts might not even be possible (though I might be wrong…)

I would really recommend you download the most recent RC and try it out, at least so that you get an idea of how it works! Most people that are used to page-based frameworks are a bit confused at first, but very excited once they get used to it and realize just how much the ‘web’ in ‘web application’ is hidden.

In short: try it, and see how it fits in your project.

Best Regards,
Marc

I assume he/she uses Struts for the legacy stuff that you just cannot get rid of. I assume they got bunch of logic that just works and old system must be integrated in some way to newer technology systems.

As Marc suggest: For all the new development, make everything without “old-tech” Struts!

I can also confirm - at least two our applications are successfully working with tooklit + j2ee + hibernate. We’re not using spring, but I do not see any fatal problems between this framework and toolkit.

Regarding the Struts - I think you either need to use itmill or struts, as both provides UI, MVC based frameworks but in different ways and mix of them does not seem to be reasonable at all (however, I suppose it is possible)

I was thinking that using Spring’s AOP would make authorization quite easy. One could inject a suitable interceptor before every button event for example, and if the event methods were named systematically the Spring configuration would stay clean and simple.

Or what would you recommend?

I think that the central idea in the IT Mill and Spring integration most be the adoption of Spring MVC framework and take IT Mill as a Spring view part to simply render the RIA ui taking the component model of IT Mill but changing this one to be served by Spring controllers. this cannot be used with Struts because struts not supports differents views like Spring thats but if the IT Mill can offer an Spring view to render the page based on his own Java components model it would be perfect for Spring users and IT Mill can be integrate with any MVC framework. this is what some JavaScript toolkits do e.g. Dojo, ExtJS, they show their owns components but the data may came from any server side tecnology preferibly as JSON but can be as XML.
summary:
create a Spring IT Mill view to render the data model like the most used JSTLView to render JSPs and make It Mill ui components independent from the IT Mill server side datasource (remove the use of IT Mill components like JSF components) with the place to configure the datasource URLs

this is only the opinion that I has as Spring developer based on the investigation of differents RIA Java framework.
actually the most flexible open source RIA Java framework that I found is
http://sweetdev-ria.sourceforge.net/sweetdev-ria3.2/
, this is JSP based.

I really like the idea around IT Mill, thats because I write this sugestions and I am sure that many others developers have some of this problems to for integrations not only IT Mill and Spring developers.
Personally I will start a project integration as soon as possible to share with the community

thanks and congratulations for your work.

Hi aek,

I think there is no reason to remove server side from UI part of the toolkit, as this will be just the plain GWT, which we already have :slight_smile:

ITMill is a compete server-based framework, so it acts rather different than other frameworks like swetdev, extjs and so on, it is not trying to be a page-based. So Spring integration should be focused not to UI but to server part instead, to my mind.

Regards,
Dmitri