can i use the vaadin jpa container for storing data in google data store

Hi

I just want to know, can i use Vaadin JPA container to store / retrieve data in Google Data store (ie in Google App Engine application)?

Regards,
Arvind.

Probably not - at least last I checked, GAE implemented only a restricted subset of the JPA standard, and Google Data Store is not a good fit for JPA in general.

However, there are some Vaadin containers specifically designed for GAE - see
GAEContainer
and
GAEDataStoreContainers

Hello,

then I assume that “Automated Business Logic” (
Automated Business Logic for Vaadin
) can’t be used in Google Apps Engine because it requires HbnContainer or JPAContainer ?

Best Regards,
Krešimir

While I haven’t tried ABL, the comments on that page state (emphasis mine):

You could probably use some GAE data store compatible container as long as it implements the features required by ABL.

Then again, if the application is a little bigger or has stricter reliability requirements, I would recommend considering some other platform than GAE.

Hello,

than you very much for the answer.

You wrote:
"Then again, if the application is a little bigger or has stricter reliability requirements, I would recommend considering some other platform than GAE. "

Do you think that GAE is not designed for complex business apps, e.g. commerce trading with lots of notifications, …
Do you have bad experiences with GAE ?

Best Regards,
Krešimir

I myself have only minimal experience with GAE, but there have been several reliability and availability issues in the past. There are also inconveniently small limits in application and data sizes, limited support for background processing etc. Search the web e.g. for “google app engine reliability”.

This is further complicated by that GAE always loads and deserializes the session for every request, which is not good for applications that maintain significant parts of their state on the server side, like Vaadin applications. I have no information about this limitation going away (e.g. with true sticky sessions support) anytime soon.

As far as I understand, some of the issues listed in various blogs have been fixed and the commercial version of GAE alleviates some (not all) of these to some extent, but several issues still remain.

Hello,

thank you very much for valuable information.
I will read additinal info about GAE issues.

Best Regards,
Krešimir