Bearing Good Messages

Our forums haven’t been sending out email notifications on updated subscribed threads for a long time. Many of you have already noticed that, and have been in contact with us about the issue. We’re terribly ashamed about the fact that it has been broken for so long, and thank each and everyone of you showing concern over the feature.

We have previously taken looks at what could be wrong with that on several occasions. But each time we have been left stumped, and we had no idea what could be wrong with it. Each time we have needed to give up on the matter, as other deadlines have become ever more pressing.

A few weeks ago, we decided that this problem cannot be left unfixed for any longer, and decided to set aside any other pressing matters, in order to get this fixed once and for all. After a lot of investigation, we finally have found the problem and been able to fix it.
From now on, you should be once again able to subscribe to a thread, thus getting email notifications about updates in a thread.
You can subscribe by pressing the “Subscribe” above the first post in a thread, if you’re logged in.

During investigation, we noticed that for some strange reasons, the subscription data has been corrupted: the threads you once were subscribed to might have become unsubscribed by themselves. We are unable to recover this, and that data is unfortunately lost forever. But: If you wish, you can go back to threads and re-subscribe to them. Any threads you subscribe to from now on, should remain so.

We feel terribly bad that this fix took so long to be fixed, and it pains us that some data has been lost during all this. But we’re also relieved that this issue now seems to be fixed, and everything should work as before, once again.

If you notice some weird behavior, please, don’t hesitate in letting us know.

Hmm…

just got a reply from the tori forum,
it’s a html message but the forum link inside the html body isn’t encoded as a_href


Message-ID: <mb.203413.1760126@events.vaadin.com>
In-Reply-To: <mb.203413.1702592@events.vaadin.com>
References: <mb.203413.1702592@events.vaadin.com>
Subject: [9. Add-ons]
 RE: Refresher addon problem
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html;charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-SA-Exim-Connect-IP: 184.73.201.19
X-SA-Exim-Mail-From: no-reply@vaadin.com
X-SA-Exim-Scanned: No (on mail.itmill.com); SAEximRunCond expanded to false
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

nice <br />--<br />vaadin.com Message Boards<br />https://vaadin.com/tori/-/message_boards/view_message/1760126<br /><br />http://www.vaadin.com

Would be nice if the link is clickable in the mail client

And, what is the status of the tori forums ?

Yeah, it would be nice.

The problem is that Tori isn’t sending out those emails, but Liferay is. Liferay evidently doesn’t automatically parse URLs in HTML emails to be anchored. The signature sent for the email seems to be the same for both HTML and plaintext emails. So, we can’t add the required markup to make it linkable, because then the plaintext emails would look bad :frowning:

The status is “in development”. There are no deadlines, due to practical reasons. It’s an unofficial, yet effective, test/validation project for Vaadin 7, and they block each other every now and again. We’re optimizing it at the moment, and waiting for Vaadin 7 beta 1 to come out, so that the API would become more stable again. Maybe we update the portlet deployed in vaadin.com at some point.

Another one:

In the mails I recive from the forum, the language is included in the link, like here

https://vaadin.com/fi/forum/-/message_boards/view_message/1899378

As I then copy/paste it in the browser I get the FI user interface, even if I’m already loggen in with DE as language
It would be nice if we could have the mails without the language of the other poster in the link…

This seems to be a feature of Liferay, since I never use the language modifier in Liferay, and the link I received for this email included the “de” part. Apparently Liferay uses the URL of the sender, instead of something suitable for the receiver.

I’ll write down this issue, but unfortunately I can’t promise anything.

In “your” notification message I got a link without the language modifier

https://vaadin.com/forum/-/message_boards/view_message/1899764 

Strange…

Seems like my assumption was correct, since I didn’t have (and still don’t have) any when i replied to the thread. So, if you have a /fi/ in the url, it just means that the replyer was using the finnish version of Liferay.

A strange feature, indeed.