BeanFieldGroup and JSR303 validation

Hi,

I just had a look at how FieldGroup/BeanFieldGroup is implemented in Vaadin7.

If I may, I would like to suggest a couple of things:

• currently, only fields are validated, but JSR303 allows for class level validation annotations as well. Use cases, that pop up in my mind:

• password1
      &
      password2
      matches

• date1
      before
      date2
    • is
      email
      already contained in database,
      but does not belong to this record

For this to work, one needs to present the bean to the validator (ie. create a bean from potentially uncommitted fields). It would probably only be useful just before committing, and should - if I understand the 2phase commit correctly - be pretty easy to integrate.

• the same applies to ValidationGroups. JSR303 allows to specify validationGroups ie. @Future(groups = { SomeCustomGroupDefinition.class, SomeOtherGroupDefinition.class })
    In turn, you can pass one or more validation groups to the validator, and the validator will only use the annotations/validations, that belong to the given validation groups.
    Great for validating a certain tab of a form, before switching to the next, but also ie. to have different validation logic for a customer frontend and a vaadin backend.

Without these two, I can see myself implementing custom validations over and over again - really error prone, if there’s more than one frontend accessing the data.

It would be great, if you’d consider looking into these. I don’t mind helping out, if you can give some vaadin specific architectural advice.

Thanks
Philipp

Hi Philipp,

You should create enhancement tickets for these at http://dev.vaadin.com. It makes it easier to discuss and track what is being done. I think #8096 is at least related to these issues.

All help provided is appreciated. What is usually a good starting point is a small example where you can see why it would be useful to have such features and how they would be used. Of course if you want to implement a proof of concept or full patch, that is good also :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads up.
Ticket is created at http://dev.vaadin.com/ticket/8406