A verbose IRC Client completely made in Vaadin (with server push)
This project has been under development for almost two years now (and been on ice proably 80% of that time). But since Artur introduced the Server push mechanism, I decided to add this nice feature to the client, since it has been one of the most awaited features for a long time.
This is not a widget, but an application. tkIRC is deployable to a webserver container directly OR may be started up as a stand alone application.
Starting tkIRC as a stand alone application cannot be easier - just unzip the package and run the start.bat or start.sh file provided within. But before that, you may wish to edit the conf.properties file found in the same directory.
Deploying to a web server requires a little more editing:
- Unzip the file
- Go to the tkIRC-folder and rename toolkIRC.war to toolkIRC.war.zip
- Now, edit the conf.properties to fit your needs, and then copy it to the \WEB-INF\classes\ folder within the zip-file (overwrite the old one)
- Rename toolkIRC.war.zip back to toolkIRC.war
- now you can add the war-file to a web server, and there you go!
(Alternatively you can edit conf.properties in the webcontainer directly (requires Tomcat restart))
tkIRC includes a lot, but here are a few features:
- Portlet support
- Multiple DCC send (send a file to several people in a channel, for instance. Sending a file to many people at the same intranet may not work, though).
- Multiple DCC receive (you may download many files at the same time)
- Most of the irc commands may be issued (join,quit,topic,invite,mode,op, etc...)
- Channel chat history (arrow up / down for history)
- Nick name completion (press tab to cycle around all users, like in irssi)
- Private chat
- Shortcut for Colors, boldfaces, underline Ctrl + c, Ctrl + b and Ctrl + u. (though, there may be some problems with underlining)
- Dynamic resizing to fit all sizes of screens
REMEMBER TO ADD A SLASH (/) AT THE END OF THE URL